Building Your Criteria Library:
Access the Criteria Library by opening the Criteria sub-tab under the Design tab. To begin building criteria for future use you will first need to create a criteria folder. This can be achieved by selecting the New Folder button, defining a name and saving it to your Criteria List.
NOTE: All criteria created in the Criteria Library will be visible and available to anyone at your institution who has the ability to edit/create rubrics and competencies. Appropriate tasks must be associated with the user's role. For more information on user roles and user tasks, click here.
From within the a chosen criteria folder you can begin adding criterion by selecting the "New Criterion" button.
To create and add a new criterion:
- Select the number of performance levels you want from the drop down menu.
- Next input the criterion's name by clicking on the Criterion 1 text. Click the Update button when you have finished.
- The last step is to fill out the criterion's feedback details. This includes feedback text the student will receive after the assessment is complete and the evaluation has been sent back to the user.
- Working from left to right (highest score to lowest), click on text box founder under the blue bar containing your top performance level text.
- You have two areas to input the feedback text for this criterion's performance level.
- The text you input under the Observation for Evaluator will only appear in the rubric during assessment. This text can match what you place under Feedback for Recipient or contain a condensed version of key words that the assessor will recognize.
- The text you input under the Feedback for Recipient will appear on the feedback record that is returned to the user. This text should relate to the level of performance for this specific criterion.
- You can easily copy the text under Observation for Evaluator into the Feedback for Recipient box by clicking the arrow between the two text boxes.
- Click on the Update button when you are finished. Continue until each performance level has been completed.
NOTE: You can review or edit criteria by clicking on its name in the appropriate folder within the Criteria Library.
Using Criteria to Build Rubrics:
Once you've created criteria and saved it to the Criteria Library, Designers can easily use these criteria to populate a rubric, saving time and improving feedback quality.
First, access the Rubric Wizard to begin building rubric(s):
- Log into Waypoint.
- Click on the Design tab.
- On the Rubrics page, click on the New Folder button.
- Give the folder a name and then click Create Folder.
- Click on the New Rubric button to open the Rubric Wizard.
- Follow steps 1 - 4 of the Rubric Wizard.
Next, choose criteria by clicking on the Add Existing Criterion button:
From the pick-list find criteria by searching and browsing the available options. Add criteria by clicking the arrow icon to the right of the criteria details. Preview criteria content by clicking on the criteria name - a dialog box will appear below your criteria selections and allow you to view all relevant information including title, date modified, and defined observation level text.
NOTE: You will only be able to search for and used criteria created with the same number of performance levels defined in the Rubric Wizard. In other words, if you are creating a rubric with 5 performance levels, you will only be able to view and select criteria with 5 performance levels.
If the criteria contains additional feedback, you can view this by clicking on the View feedback link below the preview dialog box. A box will pop up with displaying all pre-defined additional feedback comments:
Once you are satisfied with your criteria selections, click OK. Your selected criteria will be added to your rubric, at which time you use the Rubric Wizard to edit the criteria, add additional criteria, format scores, review, and publish your rubric. For more information on how to build rubrics, see here.
Related Walkthrough Guides: