A direct link to individual records

Comments

11 comments

Alaina Pascarella

I think this is a great idea particularly when a rubric is not attached to an LMS gradable item.

Comment actions Permalink
    Client Services

Hi Sherrie,

Thank you for your feature request. I can imagine how frustrating it is to have to login every time you click a link to an individual record. The challenge we have is to balance ease of use with the security needs of the application and the protection of student data. 

Although we do support Single Sign On (SSO) from eCollege to Waypoint, the format of the links you are creating do not comply with the eCollege SSO standard.

The good news is, if you keep your browser open with an active Waypoint session, you will only be prompted to log in once a day when you use your links.

I will be watching for other comments from the community on this issue and I will discuss your request with the development team to see if there might be ways to meet this challenge.

Pam Fox

SherrieTimoll-Mueller

Hi Pam,

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by this: "The good news is, if you keep your browser open with an active Waypoint session, you will only be prompted to log in once a day when you use your links."

This is actually what I want to happen. What I have done is create links for individual records and then paste those links into my Excel spreadsheet. However, each time I click a link in my spreadsheet, I am directed to the Waypoint login page. Once I login, I can bypass the Waypoint landing page and go directly to the individual record. I would love to be able to bypass that login page each time I click the link in my Excel spreadsheet and go directly to the individual Waypoint record.

Thanks,

Sherrie.

Alaina Pascarella

Hi Pam,

Essentially what we are looking for is the ability to create a shortcut link access to a specific individual's Waypoint record rather that having to sign into Waypoint, locate the record on the Show Student Roster feature or click Begin Grading. 

Stacy Manning

I LOVE this idea!  Being able to create links from our start sheet directly to WP would save a huge amount of time as I could cut and paste directly from my monitoring sheet into WP!  This could literally save hours over the duration of a course, expedite my job functions and increase my ability to be more of service and support to instructors!

Deb Swanson

Sherrie, you have presented an awesome, time-saving idea! The expediency created by the use of the links would grant us much more time to achieve our organizatoinal goals of supporting and guiding the instructors to reach their fullest potential in the classroom. Time-saving ideas such as this ultimately affect the experience our students have. As I.S.'s, it allows us  to focus on the students and their success as opposed to "waiting for internal records to load." If there is a workaround available that would be time-saving, yet secure, everyone would benefit!

Michael Conover

This feature would save me so much time as I maneuver about my monitoring spreadsheet. The ability to hyperlink to a specific rubric from my spreadsheet would improve my back-end efficiency and allow me to work more closely and personally with my TAs.

Beth Luebke

I would really appreciate having this feature to go directly to that individual rubric. As I try to enter information on a daily basis, this would improve my strategy and make the process less time consuming overall. I can see the need for security, but logging in once and allowing us to use it for at least 90 minutes before requiring another login prompt  would be very beneficial. Thank you.

Client Services

Hi Sherrie,

I apologize but I may have misled you in my response. It turns out that a link to a secure page from Excel (and all MS Office products) will always prompt you to log in. It's a MS Office limitation.

I did some testing and if you have logged into Waypoint and copy and paste the link into a browser, it will take you directly to the page. My next test was to add the link to a non-MS Office product and test the link. I tried WordPad and Google Docs (document and spreadsheet) and the link worked.

I know this is not the exact solution you were looking for but I hope it gets us closer to working on a way to meet your needs. We'll continue to investigate this use of Waypoint and  listen for other comments from the Community.

Thanks for your patience.

Pam

SherrieTimoll-Mueller

Hi Pam,

Thanks for getting back to me. I see what you mean - I tried a couple of those links in Outlook, and they worked just fine. I also tried a different browser. I used Internet Explorer which still prompted me to login when I tested a link, but once I did I could click the same link multiple times without having to login again. This is getting me closer, but still not where I want to be since I would have to do an initial login for each individual on the roster. 

I am curious though as to why this is not a problem with eCollege, which is also secured. Once I do an initial login in eCollege, I can access courses directly through the links I created in Excel. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help.

Sherrie.

Kate Johnson

This is a fantastic idea! We have something similar that we are able to access through our eCollege system and it makes life (and creating records of information) infinitely easier.

Kate

Please sign in to leave a comment.